As a Dog Guard Pet Fence Installer and Owner of Dog Guard of Central Ohio, there are quite a few inquiries received daily about pet fence prices and pet owner concerns.
Provided in this article are the ins and outs of pet fencing; what you need to know before you buy and the information that goes into pricing pet containment systems.
The Dog Guard of Central Ohio Difference:
- Family owned and operated, providing an efficient customer experience with true care of pet safety and happiness.
- 30 years of experience in training pets, rescuing animals, and underground fence installations.
- Products are made in the USA and are maintenance free. All products are built and made in Troy, NY.
- Products come with a lifetime warranty at no additional cost to the client.
- Pet fences come with a 30-day Money-Back Guarantee (restrictions apply).
- Veterinarian Approved!
- Indoor and outdoor containment system options.
- Both cat and dog containment systems.
- Customer oriented, care for every pet and the client’s peace of mind!
- Accommodate pets of all sizes and temperaments with 32 levels of correction and adjustable band width.
- Referral Program – Any referral that leads to an installation gets the client a gift card to a local business or a years worth of free batteries for one pet!
- Special Offers Monthly – Stay updated! https://www.dogguardofcentralohio.com/
- Lower cost and more secure than traditional fencing – pricing is very competitive in the pet fencing market.
Questions to the Client:
There is a series of questions asked that help determine pricing and other factors for each client’s specific pet fencing needs.
- How big of an area do you want fenced? How big is your property? (a rough estimate of size)A rough estimate is sufficient as Google Earth is used to help with sizing as well. This allows for assessment of client’s property, driveway, number of trees, and any possible obstacles that could be encountered during installation. Google Earth helps determine the optimal location of the fence.The DGCO Basic Package includes up to 1 acre. Additional acres are an additional cost based off of wiring needs (a solid copper wire is used with a heavy coating to ensure the pet fence lasts for years to come). This information also helps in determining proper fence layout. In most cases, an Hourglass and Complete Loop fencing design is installed as it is the best way to get the most out of the pet fence. Fencing can be provided for up to 50 acres without issues. Prices can also be adjusted for relatively small yards.Why the loop, you may ask?The reason behind the loop is to have complete continuity surrounding the pet(s). The transmitter emits a radio signal to the pet’s receiver (collar), making it vital that the pet is protected from all sides. Some pet owners only desire to do one side of their house (normally the back) which is doable, but does not protect the pet(s) in the front of the home. For example, if “Fluffy” darts out the front door – he is unprotected. It is always suggested to do at least part of the front to protect the pet(s) from harm.
- How many driveway cuts will be required? What type or driveway is on your property (Concrete, Asphalt, Gravel)?Driveway cuts based on the type of driveway allows for determination of how much product it will take to restore the driveway to look as it did before installation. It is important to ensure the client that their beginning yard/driveway will look equally as good when the installation is complete.
- Do you want your pets to be in the Pool/Pond area?This is important because pets can be destructive to pool liners, yet some client’s allow their pet(s) to swim in an on-site pond. It is possible to surround the pool area with a loop to keep pets out of pools and can also be done around ponds if desired.
- Do you want the transmitter mounted in the basement or in a garage?The transmitter needs constant power so must be installed near a outlet on the outside of a wall. This is important to know in understanding how the end result will look. All wires will be covered outside as not to be a hazard and inside wires will be made to look like they are part of the area.
- How many pets do you have? What are their breeds and weights?This helps determine what size receiver (collar) the pet(s) will need. Small pets get smaller Receivers/Collars whereas big pets get bigger Receivers/collars. The more pets that you have the more receivers you will need – cost increases based on number of pets. There is no limit to the number of dogs that can be covered, as many as you have can be done. The breed and age of pet(s) is also important. At DGCO, we do train puppies, but prefer to train them at 16 weeks. However, we have accepted to do so at 12 weeks in the past.
- Are your pets leash trained? Leash Training is an intricate part of training your dog. Training is provided the day of installation with a follow-up 3 days later to ensure pet(s) are adjusting well. It should never be a worry that a pet cannot be trained or contained on a fence. Having an adjustable band width and 32 levels of correction, allows for customized training for each individual pet. In our breadth of experience, we have never met a dog that could not be maintained on a fence and trained within a matter of weeks. There is a 30-Day Customer Money-Back Guarantee on products. The client will receive a refund on everything but the installation given they are not satisfied with the product. Additional training is also provided for a small cost. For an additional reference, see this article on How to Leash Train your Pet.
What to be Expected from your Pet Containment System:
A Happy, Exercised and Calmer Pet!
Although Dog Guard of Central Ohio cannot promise to make everything perfect in the client’s life with their pet(s), we can, at minimum, ensure that the pet(s) will be contained and safe! A pet that can run and exercise in their own environment is a much more content and happy dog! In the end, this assists owners in house training, less chewing and a more content and happy pet overall. It also eliminates a great deal of the stress that comes with being a pet owner. Pets should be off-leash in a matter of a week or two – as quick as 1-3 days.
Training pets on the day of installation makes it possible that the pet(s) will be off-leash by the time the install is complete!
When you decide to take the Pet Containment Plunge:
The decision is final on getting a DOG GUARD out-of-sight fence! This is what to expect:
- DGCO sets up an appointment for installation, being flexible with various schedules.
- DGCO calls and has all of client’s utilities located prior to install date (usually takes 2-3 days). Safety is important for both parties.
- DGCO arrives on-time or early, always contacting client of progress prior to install date/time.
- Allow for 2-3 hours for installation and training of pet(s).
- DGCO installs transmitter in agreed area – outside wall in either garage or basement (can also be installed in home if needed).
- DGCO starts installing 14 gauge 45 mil wire into the ground in a loop while also placing flags for training purposes.
- When install is complete and clean up is performed, the pet(s) are fit for their collars and receivers.
- DGCO goes over all of the specifics to be known.DGCO trains pet(s) without owner present. When pet owners are present during training, the pet(s) get distracted. After privately training the pet(s), the owners are then informed on how to continue training. Day one, the dog is trained on the tone of the fence. Once satisfied with the outcome of tone training, the pet will be corrected if they go past the flags. Once corrected, adjustments will be made as needed. The pet(s) will then be taken off-leash with owner present, ensuring the pet(s) does not test his/her boundaries.With assistance from the pet owner, the pet(s) should be ready for assisted off-leash activities. The first week of outside time should be supervised.DGCO promises never to abandon the client and their pet(s) – we are always just a call away to assist!
Did you know that Felines can also be contained in a fence?
It’s true! Cats can be put on the fence just like dogs. Cats want to go out and run the yard without fear too
DGCO can also come to the client’s home and do in-home estimates and demonstrate products. Transmitters and Receivers all come with a Lifetime Warranty. We are here to protect your pets as if they were ours!
On behalf of DGCO, we hope that this will help each client make an informed decision with a better understanding on how fences work and what important factors go into determining each individual’s Pet Containment needs.
Follow us on Facebook for special offers and updates: